Monday, April 13, 2009

We Have Made a Decision

Well folks, Ryan and I have made the decision to go ahead and induce on Thursday morning if Madalyn has not come by then.

We went to the doctor this morning and things were pretty much the same. I am about 3 cm dilated and everything else looks good. We talked with our doctor and asked a bunch of questions, and then she let us talk by ourselves. We decided that we wanted to go ahead and induce Thursday morning after much deliberation.

We want to avoid a c-section as much as possible and avoid any kind of pain drugs. My biggest concern about being induced was the fact that a lot of women have really hard, fast labors with induction that eventually leads to an epidural. In talking with our doctor, she told me that the amount of pitocin she gives me in completely up to me. If I feel like my labor is progressing to fast based on dilation then we can cut it back to give my body plenty of time to dilate. She is not going to rush me or give me a time limit on how long she thinks I should labor before taking surgical measures. This gave me a good sense of peace. I am really thankful for our doctor and her desire to make labor and delivery go the way we want it to and not by the standard.

She had me do a non-stress test at the hospital too. This monitors the baby and makes sure that her living environment is still in good condition. The nurse gave me an A-plus. :)

Today I will be busy doing laundry and vacuuming to get things ready, and I will be walking as much as I can. The hope would obviously be to go into labor before I have to be induced.

So, be looking for pictures and news of Madalyn's arrival by the end of the week or weekend. I cannot believe that by this time next week I will be holding her in my arms! WooHoo!

Love you all.

4 comments:

Crystal Spies said...

Good luck with everything, you'll do great! I went into the hospital for for my pre-op to be induced the next day and my water broke that day. It sounds like you have a really great doctor too. How exciting!!!

Sarah Boswell said...

We will be praying that everything goes well! I didn't want to be induced with Addi but didn't have much choice because of pre-eclampsia. I had heard all sorts of stories about induction labor and it really wasn't something I wanted. But it all turned out ok. My big thing was I didn't want to have a c-section. My dr. let me labor for 28 hours then she finally came on her own. I'm so ready with this baby to not be pregnant anymore that I welcome induction this time. JK but I do hope she comes a little early. Hope everything goes well and easy for you. Good Luck!

Kim H. said...

I think you've made a great decision with all of the facts - it does sound like you have a great doctor that knows you well enough to understand what you really want. Hang in there, and I can't wait!!

Benita said...

Dad & I are in constant prayer for you and we know that the timing will be perfect. I can't wait to hold my granddaughter. If she is like her mother, she will be a great baby and sleep a lot. Now, if she is like her daddy, well that could be a problem....just kidding Ryan....I know you had to be a wonderful baby too...I am so happy that you have a doctor who really listens to your desires.
love you, mother